Bread Making Terms Of Art

Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:53:22 -0700
v099.n036.11
                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Bread Making Terms Of Art

Recipe By     : Rosemary Grimm
Categories    : Breads                           Info/Tips
                Bread Bakers Mailing List

*****  NONE  *****

Bread Making Terms of Art

Proofing
Professional bakers use this to mean "rising." Originally it meant to prove
the effectiveness of the yeast by starting it to grow with a little "food"
such as flour or sugar. If the mixture did not bubble up, it was discarded
and little time and ingredients were lost (please read about yeast.)

Kneading
There are many styles of kneading. Obviously if various machines like food
processors, mixers, bread machines can do it in different ways, so can
humans. Basically, you want to pull the dough to develop the gluten. If the
dough is very soft and sticky (some sweet breads or french breads) you may
start out just flinging it against a lightly floured surface. Usually you
push the heel of your hand into the dough, pushing away from you. At first
the dough will be sticky and you will instinctively release pressure to
keep from getting stuck. As you repeat this motion, turning the the ball of
dough after each push, it will become more resilient and lose its
stickiness. How long will it take? For one small loaf (about 3 cups of
flour) 10 minutes should do it. The usual two loaf recipe will take about
20 minutes. If you are a novice, you might want to start with a white bread
because it develops its elasticity much more readily.

Overkneading
Based on my daughter's experiment, I don't believe overkneading by hand is
possible. She deliberately tried to overknead and gave up after more than
one hour. So don't worry about it. If you need the exercise or meditative
state this repetitive activity can create, keep going; it won't hurt the bread.

Smooth and elastic
This is the condition that seems to occur magically after adequate
kneading. The dough feels like a baby's bare bottom, plump and resilient.
You may stop kneading at this point.

Double (double in bulk)
This does not mean you need to measure the volume of the dough. Yes, it is
roughly double, but more importantly, the dough has risen to the optimal
stage where gluten is stretched to capacity without the strands breaking;
the yeast is still alive but needs to be redistributed, so it can continue
growing. The best test for this state is to poke a finger or two about
one-half inch into the dough. If the depression remains, the dough is
ready; if it quickly fills in, it needs more rising time; if it starts to
collapse, it has gone too far (proceed to the next step in your recipe, but
watch it more carefully next time.)

Punch Down (deflate)
Deflate the dough in order to more easily redistribute the yeast or to
shape the dough. Bread dough doesn't really require violence but, hey, if
that's what you personally need at the moment, go for it. Some authorities
say that you should be ever so gentle and just ease the dough from the
bowl. In my experience, it doesn't much matter how you do it; just don't
tear up the dough.

Redistributing the yeast
A second or third kneading to get more rising power out the yeast and
create a finer textured bread. Yeast is a microscopic organism. It does not
wander about like an animal; it stays put like a plant. It doesn't grow
much in the sense of enlarging its size, but it multiplies like crazy under
proper conditions. Fresh food (the starches and sugars in your dough) is
brought in contact with the yeast when you deflate the dough and briefly
knead it.

Sounds hollow when tapped
The test for doneness after baking. This is another condition, like "smooth
and elastic," that may worry you the first time, but once you hear that
hollow sound you will recognize and remember it. It's a bit like trying to
find a stud in a wall--you keep tapping and wondering if you are even going
to know when you do hear it. Relax, you'll know. What if you are deaf?
Insert a thermometer and look for an internal temperature of 200F.

Hearth Breads
Breads that are baked without pans directly on the floor of the wood fired
oven. In our kitchens that usually means putting the loaf on preheated
tiles on an oven rack in the lowest third of the oven. Pizza stones are
another option. I've never tried then because my reading has led me to
believe their expense is not worth it. I use tiles. Another option is a
cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, preheated with the oven. Using two pans
nestled together gives further insurance from a burnt bottom. Corn meal is
often used to keep the dough from sticking. Only a small amount is needed.
I often prefer to use semolina or rice flour instead of cornmeal.

Rosemary Grimm