Nutritious Additions To Whole Wheat Breads

Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:02:49 -0700
v099.n031.12
                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Nutritious Additions To Whole Wheat Breads

Recipe By     : Rosemary Grimm <bf940@lafn.org>
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Breads
                Info/How To

*****  NONE  *****

            Nutritious Additions To Whole Wheat Breads

Soy flour: One Tbsp per loaf is enough to enrich and compliment wheat
protein without changing the flavor.

Milk: Dry milk powder can be mixed into the flour (1/4 to 1/2 cup per
recipe.) Fluid milk can replace water. Modern milk does not need to be
scalded, just warmed to the proper temperature. Buttermilk and yogurt
tenderize bread and improve its keeping quality.

Whole or Cracked Grains: These add texture, flavor interest and sometimes
improved nutrition. Try adding up to 2/3 cup of one or a combination of the
following:

   * cornmeal
   * bulgar
   * triticale (crack and then boil 5 mins to soften)
   * farina
   * semolina
   * Malt-o-Meal
   * steel cut oats (boil 5 mins.)
   * regular rolled oats (or wheat flakes or rye flakes)
   * oat bran
   * flax seed (crack and boil 5 mins.)

Eggs: For a light, high loaf add a beaten egg (or two whites) to the dough.
This makes a dramatic difference and so I almost always add an egg when I
am taking bread to a dinner party. Everyone is expecting dense, heavy, but
healthy bread. Boy, are they surprised! If you don't want to use dairy or
eggs in your bread, try using a small amount of soy lecithin dissolved in
the oil. I haven't tried this yet, but I believe it will work because I
believe the effect of the egg is due as much to the small amount of
lecithin in egg yolk as is it to the albumen in the egg white.

                            Variations

The above should give you some ideas for creating your own "signature"
breads. Don't hesitate to vary recipes to make them more interesting. I
seldom follow a recipe; I just start mixing, keeping in mind the usual
proportions of basic ingredients. Sometimes the contents of my cupboard
dictate my variations, sometimes it's just a whim.