Rosemary's recipes

Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:52:04 -0700
v099.n031.10
I have been receiving notes privately from many of you who wish to get
Rosemary's recipes but don't have web access.  I wrote and asked her if she
minded if I take them from her site and post them to our list/archive.
Rosemary has graciously granted her permission to do this.  So I will start
formatting them and put a few up each week till they are all here.  I want
to thank Rosemary for her generosity for allowing this and for all her
wonderful breads and contributions over the years to the list.

Here is one she sent me privately...

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

               Crusty, Chewy Sourdough Bread With Big Holes

Recipe By     : Rosemary Grimm <bf940@lafn.org>
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List        Breads
                Hand Made

                        Make A Stiff Starter:
     1/4  Tsp           Yeast -- Dissolved In
     1/4  C             Lukewarm Water
     2/3  C             Flour
                        Mix Starter With:
   1      Tsp           Yeast -- Dissolved In
     1/4  C             Lukewarm Water
                        Add:
     3/4  C             Cool Water
   2 3/4  C             Flour
   1 1/2  Tsp           Salt

Cover starter mixture tightly and let rise 3 - 5 hrs.

After the addition of the salt beat the *ell out of this until very, very
elastic. (15 minutes in a heavy duty mixer with dough hook) Knead in enough
more flour to make a still soft dough. Let rise about 3 hours Place in a
lightly oiled zip lock bag and chill 2 - 8 hours.

Scrape dough out onto well floured board Handle it with floured hands while
shaping into a long log. You can brush off the flour after the bread is
baked. Cover and let rise until puffy. While dough is rising, preheat oven,
with tiles on rack, to 425 degrees. Handle dough gently but just use your
hands under it to carry it to the hot oven and place on tiles. Stretch the
dough slightly as you do this. Bake about 30 - 40 minutes until done. The
crust should be thin and crisp. If you want a thicker crust, steam the oven
during the first ten minutes.

It works best with unbleached white flour but whole wheat is OK (takes more
kneading, has less crisp crust and may become a little sour)

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 1582 0 0 0 1582 0 0 0 0