Italian Bread and Rosemary Bread

hensley@columbus.rr.com
15 Jun 99 02:25:34 Eastern Standard Time
v099.n030.18
For Mike, who wanted Italian and Rosemary, these are really great ones.
I'm sorry to all those members who have seen these before, but my mouth was
watering by the time I was done reading about the Rosemary bread..I'm
baking bread again tomorrow.  PS  I really hope these post OK..I'm still
trying to figure out this new M/C 5.0

                    * Exported from MasterCook *

                      Crusty Old World Sesame Braid

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour
Categories    : Bread Recipes-Italian

                        *****  NONE  *****

 Poolish (Starter):
1 cup cool water, about 65°F
2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon (a pinch) SAF Perfect Rise Yeast
Combine all poolish ingredients, mixing just till a cohesive dough forms.
Allow the dough to rest, covered, for 12 to 16 hours at room temperature.
When the poolish is ready, it will be filled with large holes and bubbles.

Dough:
1/2 cup cool water, about 65°F
2 to 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons SAF Perfect Rise Yeast (remainder of yeast packet, if using one)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Add the water to the poolish, and mix till smooth. Add the flour, yeast and
salt, and knead the dough till it's fairly smooth but not necessarily
elastic, about 3 minutes by machine, or 5 minutes by hand. (The gluten will
continue to develop as the dough rises, so you don't want to develop it
fully during the kneading process.) Place the dough in a lightly greased
bowl, cover, and allow the dough to rise, at room temperature, for 1 1/2
hours. To help develop the gluten and distribute the yeast's food, turn the
dough twice during the rising time: gently fold all four sides into the
middle, and turn the dough over. Divide dough in thirds, and roll each
third into a 20-inch-long rope. Braid ropes. Set braid on a lightly greased
baking sheet, cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until just puffy. Gently
brush braid with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake
bread in a preheated 425°F oven for 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf

                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 0 Calories (kcal); 0g Total Fat; (0% calories from fat); 0g
Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0

                      * Exported from MasterCook *

                            French Herb Bread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread Recipes - Herb

  3          teaspoons  active dry yeast
  2        tablespoons  white sugar
  1           teaspoon  salt
  3 1/2           cups  all purpose flour -- (3 1/2 to 4)
  1                cup  milk
  1         tablespoon  vinegar
     1/4           cup  water
     1/4           cup  butter or margarine
     1/2           cup  minced onion
  1              clove  garlic -- minced
     1/2      teaspoon  salt
  1         tablespoon  minced parsley
  2        tablespoons  butter or margarine

In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar, 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 1/2
cups of the flour.  In a sauce pan combine the milk, water and 1/4 cup of
the butter or margarine until 110 degrees F (38 degrees C). Add milk
mixture and vinegar to the flour mixture and blend at low speed of the
mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.  Stir in 1 1/2
cups additional flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a floured
surface and Knead adding 1/2 to 1 cup more of flour until dough is smooth
and pliable. Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place
until doubled in volume.  Punch down dough and roll into a rectangle shape
about 16x8 inches.  In a saucepan heat the onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon
salt, parsley and 2 tablespoons butter or margarine until butter or
margarine is melted. Spread over the dough rectangle and starting from the
16 inch side roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll.  Place the bread
seam side down onto a greased cookie shee!