Re: Digest bread-bakers.v099.n026

stimpy <stimpy@paralynx.com>
Sun, 23 May 1999 07:24:44 -0700
v099.n029.11
>From: Al Lee <alee1@flash.net>
>Subject: Shaping Pizza Dough

>I have what I think is a great recipe for pizza dough, at least it makes
>excellent pizza shells.
>
>Now, I need to know how to get these uniform round, and thin, I think I
>need to toss or spin them. But, there is something I'm missing, either my
>dough is too tough, or I don't let it "rest" enough. When I try to toss it,
>it tends to tear!  Any suggestions? My dough is fairly tough, or stiff!

Hi Al!

I used to have this problem all the time.  I've found a technique in Crust
and Crumb that works rather well.  Press the dough into a basic circle
shape, and let it rest for at least ten minutes.  Then, grab either side of
the dough (while it's on a nicely floured surface, and lift it up, giving
it a bit of a flick, as if you were shaking out a teatowel.  Turn the
dough, and continue to flick the dough until the dough is the size you
want.  You may still need to let the dough rest while doing this if it
springs back a lot, but I end up with far fewer tears this way.

Hope this helps!
stimps