Re: Making sesame seeds stick

Frank Cavalier <fcaval@idt.net>
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:35:53 -0500
v099.n012.13
Bruce Haug asked:
>> I know this has been asked before, as I have been monitoring this list
for over 2 years now, but I looked back over the last nine (9) months,
and found one recipe using Sesame Seeds.

How do I get them to "STICK" to the "Crust" of my bread ?

I tried a butter (before rising), what next ? Won't an "egg wash" burn? or
is an eggwash the answer, mixed how?

Help
<<
Bruce,

No it won't burn.  I use a simple method of beating one egg in a cup with a
fork, then brushing it on the loaf just before I put it in the oven.  I
preheat a stone at 500 degrees for about 20 minutes, then lower the temp to
400 when I put the loaf in.  I find about 45-50 minutes is good to get a
nice brown loaf without burning the seeds, but your oven temp may vary from
mine.  I use this method for Italian bread.  You could also just use the
egg white.  The egg that's left over I nuke on high for one minute in a
microwave and with a little salt and pepper it's a little snack for the baker.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Frank Cavalier
From Giuliano Bugialli's Cooking in Florence class