ABM Review w/recipe [X-Posted]

"john-r-harmon" <john-r-harmon@email.msn.com>
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:49:06 -0800
v099.n011.26
Santa (I know him well) replaced my 1 lb.. vertical/square loaf Panasonic
with a 2 lb.. regular style loaf Breadman Ultimate. It is way cool! A major
descision to purchase was because I could but even more-so because the
Breadman is the only machine I found that 'automatically' added the nuts or
raisins type stuff all by itself. I am still adapting/converting recipes
from the Panasonic and other sources to the Breadman. It is hard to
experiment when you eat all the evidence. I seem to be stuck on yogurt and
cottage cheese as good sources to put a 'tang' in the bread, as well as
using potato flakes and Kamut flour.

I did bake a cake in it. Turned out OK. It says I can make freezer jam in it
also. Anyway, my Panasonic is now residing happily on my brother-in-laws
counter, still humming after 4 years. We shall see how the Breadman fares.

I will eventually take the time to start programming the Breadman to do
sourdough risings but not yet. I have been kind of busy setting up a new
power 'puter and my second web site with my new domain.

This one was developed in the Panasonic, I make it with or without herbs.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       Pharaoh's Herb/Potato Bread

Recipe By     : john-r-harmon@msn.com
Categories    : Abm                              Bread

                        *1 lb. loaf*
   8      Ounces        flour, all-purpose -- sifted
   4      Ounces        Pharaoh's Phlour -- sifted
   3      Tablespoons   potato flakes -- dry
   2      Tablespoons   sugar
   1      Tablespoon    dry milk
   1      Teaspoon      salt
   1      Tablespoon    butter
   2      Tablespoons   parsley, freeze-dried
   1      Tablespoon    caraway seed
   1      Tablespoon    dill weed
     1/2  Teaspoon      dill seed
     1/2  Cup           warm water -- plus 2 tablespoons
     1/2  Cup           yogurt, skim milk

                        1 cup= approx. 5 ounces

Add ingredients to your bread machine in the order suggested by the
manufacturer. Adjust liquid to give a medium dough in your machine. To moist
it might fall, to firm makes it hard to mix properly in the machines. Bake
in normal mode, regular crust. This recipe can also be used for Rapid Bake
or Timer modes. It is a good riser at this ratio.

  ~HISTORY~
An interesting grain to consider for bread use is called *Kamut*. It was
brought to the US in '49. Plantings were gradually increased until 60 acres
were planted in '88 in Big Sandy, Montana, when it received the registered
trademark name Kamut, identifying the organically grown, pure, uncrossed
strain. The '92 harvest produced on 4000 acres in Montana and Canada yielded
5 million pounds.

Genetically, Kamut belongs to the wheat family. Its slightly yellowish
grains are larger and longer than wheat kernels. Kamut contains gluten and
can be substituted in recipes calling for wheat. It has three advantages
over wheat:
-Many with wheat allergies are enjoying Kamut without negative effects.
-Whole grain Kamut flour produces lighter, more tender baked goods than
whole grain wheat flours.
-Kamut has 3-5% more protein by weight than wheat.

More information can be found at the Kamut Association of North America's
home page: http://icstech.com/~kamut/index.html

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Kamut makes this makes a slightly heavier loaf with a buttery, rich
flavor. This is a moist, highly nutritional bread. It is moistened  by the
potato flakes and and flavored by the yogurt in addition to the spices.

Pharaoh's Phlour is Kamut (R) grain ground and used in a whole wheat manner.
It has a higher protein content but is a bit lower in gluten than our
regular wheat. It works well in yeast breads. It has a tender crumb and is
lighter than a regular whole grain flour.  It is available from Bob's Red
Mill Natural Foods, 5209 SE International Way,  Milwaukie, Oregon 97222. We
find it in our health food section of various stores.

Legend says that Kamut grain was found in the pyramids of Egypt.

Harmon'ized for MasterCook on November 26, 1998
john-r-harmon@msn.com
Clackamas County, Oregon, USA
~ the End of the Oregon Trail ~