Re: bread machine recommendations

sue@interport.net (Sue)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 11:10:59 -0500 (EST)
v099.n002.8
>From: "Phaneuf, Kelly Jayne" <phaneuk@wdni.com>
>Subject: re: bread machine recommendations
>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:29:17 -0800

>risen to a certain level (double or whatever)  I find that as long as you
>measure carefully and remember to add all ingredients, most flops occur due
>to the fact that the cycles are too rigid time-wise and the dough is either
>too slow or too fast.

In my experience, measuring has to be supplemented with adjusting the
liquid/flour amounts, especially with new recipes.  I.e., watch the dough in
the first part of the kneading and then add more of flour or liquid, if
necessary.  I get very few flops, and those that occur usually happen when
I'm trying a new recipe and the ingredients are too far out of the "range"-
eg. too much cheese, too much cornmeal, etc.

 Using level sensors (even optionally) would basically
>make the rise/bake times self adjust for temperature and/or ingredient
>variations.  Am I asking for too much?

I suppose not if you're willing to pay!

>My new machine is a Regal Super Rapid Bake 1.5 - 2 pound machine.  It is
>supposed to be able to make a loaf of bread in less than an hour.  I have
>yet to get an acceptable loaf on that cycle.

I'm not surprized.  I even have doubts about the 2 hour cycles on some
machines.  After all, a single rise takes at least 40 min, as does baking.

  I've tried more than a dozen
>times, changed ingredients, adjusted recipes, etc. to no avail.  Although  1
>or 2 of the loaves have been edible, they are just to grainy and dense
>(white bread) for my liking.  With the regular cycles, I am able to get
>satisfactory bread about 50% of the time.  I will probably return this
>machine and try another.  Perhaps it is a good machine but I am incompatible
>with it.

50% of the time surely is not good!  I'd return it, if you're sure that your
ingredients and procedures are OK.  Have you tried using packaged bread
machine bread mixes to see if they, at least, work consistently?

Anyway, I've had my Toastmaster for 4 years (tempus fugit!) and it's been
great.  In fact, since it's still going strong and I think they discontinued
the model, I recently ordered a new pan/paddle.  I'm saving the new one for
low-fat breads which tend to stick more and using the old one for most
things, especially breads with whole wheat and nuts/raisin additions which I
suspect as the culprits in wearing off the non-stick.

Sue(tm)