re: bread machine recommendations

"Phaneuf, Kelly Jayne" <phaneuk@wdni.com>
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:29:17 -0800
v099.n001.11
I've never posted before so I hope that I am doing this correctly ....
I am also curious about bread machines ... is there one where you can adjust
or program the times on each rise/knead or bake cycle?  Why can't they make
a machine with level sensors that will punch down or bake after dough has
risen to a certain level (double or whatever)  I find that as long as you
measure carefully and remember to add all ingredients, most flops occur due
to the fact that the cycles are too rigid time-wise and the dough is either
too slow or too fast.  Using level sensors (even optionally) would basically
make the rise/bake times self adjust for temperature and/or ingredient
variations.  Am I asking for too much?
I can tell you about the two machines I have, and the quirks I notice with
each.

My first machine is a Sanyo "Bread Factory"  It is a basic 1 pound machine
(I think you can make 1.5 pound loaves of denser breads).  I've had it for 4
years or so.  It works quite reliably, but I find the 1 pound size limit to
be frustrating both for not being able to use some recipes, and for the fact
that it doesn't take long to get rid of a loaf.  Rarely flops, but no crust
darkness control.

My new machine is a Regal Super Rapid Bake 1.5 - 2 pound machine.  It is
supposed to be able to make a loaf of bread in less than an hour.  I have
yet to get an acceptable loaf on that cycle.  I've tried more than a dozen
times, changed ingredients, adjusted recipes, etc. to no avail.  Although  1
or 2 of the loaves have been edible, they are just to grainy and dense
(white bread) for my liking.  With the regular cycles, I am able to get
satisfactory bread about 50% of the time.  I will probably return this
machine and try another.  Perhaps it is a good machine but I am incompatible
with it.  The other thing is that it doesn't have true crust control that
you can set exclusive of the cycle.  There are a few light/dark cycles  for
some sizes but not for all.  Has anyone else had a problem with this
machine?

My Mom has tinkered with  a basic bread recipe and if you want a lighter
than air recipe for white bread here it is:

	Stephie's Best Loaf

	1 cup warm water (divided)
	1 level tsp. sugar
	1 tsp. yeast
	1 egg
	2 Tbsp. sugar
	1/4 tsp. salt
	2 Tbsp. oil
	1 tsp. vinegar
	3 cups flour
	margarine to lightly grease the bread pan

		Divide water in half.  In a cup, dissolve the 1 tsp. of
sugar in half the water.  Then add the yeast and set aside to proof.  In a 4
cup bowl, put the other half cup of water and add the egg, the 2 tbsp. of
sugar, salt, oil and vinegar.  With a whisk, beat it up.  To this add 1 cup
of flour and whisk it 15-25 strokes till glutinous and glossy.  Once the
yeast is floating, stir it up and add this to the 4 cup bowl.  Whisk it
another 20 strokes. Add another cup of flour and whisk 20 strokes.  Pour
into lightly greased bread machine pan and top with another cup of flour.
Start your regular cycle.  After 2 or 3 minutes and check the knead.  Adjust
the flour if it is a bit wet and does not form a clean ball while kneading.

	This makes a LARGE  two pound loaf or if you just use the dough
cycle, it can be risen twice and oven baked to make 2 regular loaves of
bread.  The loaf will feel like air in your hands.  Good luck getting any of
it for yourself!
season's greetings
Kelly