Re: Muffins on a griddle

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:38:50 -0500
v098.n079.10
I posted this from Good Housekeeping before.
Metric recipe, no cups here.  I have successfully frozen in small portions,
letting defrost overnight and baking on a griddle in the morning.  English
muffins are really better immediately after cooking.

I got a set of english rings many years ago.
You could use a 4-inch round cookie cutter.
Maid of Scandinavia also sells the rings in the mail.  The muffins will
lose shape without the rings.

>                      *  Exported from  MasterCook  *
>
>                                  Crumpets
>
> Recipe By     : The Good Housekeeping Cookery Book
> Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories    :
>   Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> --------  ------------  --------------------------------
>  350      g             bread flour
>    1 1/2  tsp           dried yeast
>           pinch         sugar
>  300      ml            tepid water
>      1/2  tsp           salt
>      1/2  tsp           bicarbonate of soda
>  225      ml            milk
>
> Dissolve the yeast in 50 ml of the water with the pinch of sugar.
> Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, and pour the dissolved yeast into a
well
> in the center, follow with milk.  Mix to give a thick batter consistency.
> Using a wooden spoon, vigourously beat the batter for a bout 5  minutes
> incorporate air.  Cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, until
> sponge-like in texture.  Beat the batter for a further 2 minutes to
> incorporate air.
> Place a large, preferrably non-stick frying pan on to a high heat and,
> using absorbent kitchen paper, rub a little vegetable oil on the surface.

> grease the insides of three crumpet rings or 3  3 1/4 in plain metal
pastry
> cutters.  Place the rings blunt edge down on to the hot surface and leave
> for about 2 minutes, or until very hot.
> Pour the batter into a large measuring jug.  Pour a little batter into
each
> ringto a depth of 1 cm.
> Cook the crumpets for 5-7 minutes until the surface of each appears dry
and
> is honey-combed with holes.
> When the batter has set, carefully remove each metal ring.  Flip the
> crumpet over and cook the second side for 1 minute only.  Cool on a wire
> rack.
> Continue until all batter is used.  it is important that the frying pan
and
> rings are oiled each time, and heated before batter is poured in.  When
> required, toast the crumpets on both sides and serve hot.
> Typed by jazzbel@batelnet.bs

Later, Jazzbel

Bread Baking is lot like married love.
The first loaves of bread you make are not the best
you'll ever make, but they are better than any you've ever bought.
--Anonymous.