Pumpernickel Bread

"AcaGordie" <gordon@acanet.com.mx>
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:15:53 -0600
v098.n078.7
This is one of my favorite recipes.  I hate to do this to you non bread
machine users, not,  but this is a bread machine recipe.  It is forbidden by
the Gods of the Bread Machine to attempt to make this without using a bread
machine.

Quick Sour Pumpernickel

You can either make rolls or just leave the dough in the ABM to make a loaf
of bread. It must be started the night before. But that is not much of a
problem as long as you plan on it. This lets you have the flavor of
Pumpernickel sourdough with having to keep a jar of sourdough starter laying
around.

Starter:

1 1/2 cups Milk
2 cups Rye Flour
2 Tbs Gluten
2 tsp. yeast

Add the above ingredients to the ABM and let knead for about 10 minutes.
Reset the machine (turn it off) and leave the pan in the machine overnight
or 6-8 hours.

The next day add

2 Tbs. Vegetable oil
1/2 cup Molasses
2 Tbs. Unsweetened Cocoa
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Caraway or Fennel seed
1 cup Whole wheat flour
1 Tbs. Gluten (Optional)
2 Tbl Pumpernickel flavor  (From King Arthur)
1 1/3 cup Bread Flour
3/4 cup Raisins (optional)

Add remaining ingredients and start machine as usual. If making the loaf in
the Machine use the specialty bread setting and add the raisins at the beep.
(If you add them to early they get ground up) You can usually find the
gluten, rye flour and whole wheat flour in a health food store or you can
buy it mail order from King Arthur Flour 800-827-6836

If you are going to make rolls use the dough setting. The raisins are very
good in the rolls. Using the dough setting on my Hitachi I add them at the
1:18 mark. When the dough is ready roll out into a flat square. Form into
balls the size of a large Lemon. Press down and cover (I put 12 into a 13x9
pan and the rest in a cake pan. Let rise until doubled (1 hour) then cook 20
minutes at 350.

Makes about 15 rolls.

This recipe from my collection which is online at

www.acapulco.org

Gordon in Acapulco... where its 90 almost every day.