Bread Making Classes East Coast

Priscilla Martel <hearth@javanet.com>
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:15:40 -0500
v098.n071.13
We have been reading the Daily Bread and Bread Bakers lists for some
time with great interest.

The other day, a Bonnie Lee Brown (brown@castalnet.com) inquired about
bread classes on the East Coast in a posting to the Daily Bread Mailing list.

Charles van Over, author of The Best Bread Ever: Making Great Bread At
Home Using Your Food Processor, Broadway Books 1997, and I will be
teaching a class at Boston University on Thursday October 29, 1998 at
the Metropolitan College.   You can read about Charlie and his book at
amazon.com's listing for the book.  It has a recommendation from
amazon's on-line cookbook editor, the publisher, a note from Charlie
and 6 on-line reader reviews, all 5 star.  Charlie and I have been
making bread together for 25 years both the traditional way and the
food processor way, at home and in professional kitchens. It was a
real honor to see the book win two cookbook awards this past Spring.

In a nutshell, Charlie is a hands-on baker, very devoted to mixing artisan
style breads in the food processor.  He has years of experience using stand
mixers both commercial and at home and a strong attachment to breads with
pre-ferments and sours.  His area of interest tends to be European breads
from baguette to rye.  (In fact, he's experimenting with rye breads with
high percentage of rye flour, more like what is made in Germany and Europe
than what we find in the US.)

Neither of us has ever used a bread machine but feel we'd better try so as
not to be left out!

Here is the copy from the BU announcement and all pertinent information.
(They have other baking classes to offer as well.)  And, Charlie and I will
be doing a bread series in January in Providence, RI.

Sincerely,

Priscilla Martel

Boston University copy reads:
"FORTY-FIVE SECONDS TO THE BEST BREAD EVER
Watch as Charles van Over and chef Priscilla Martel demonstrate a
brilliant forty-five second food processor technique for turning out
everything from the classic crusty baguette to pizza and sweet yeast
breads and more.  You'll always have time to make wonderful breads at
home.  Participants receive a copy of Charles van Over's James Beard
and Julia Child IACP award-winning book along with a tasting of breads
and savoury accompaniments."

Time 6-9PM, Thursday October 29, 1998
Tuition: $50 includes book
For more information: 617-353-9852