answer to trouble?

"Donner,Pamela" <pamela.l.donner@abbott.com>
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:33:02 -0500
v098.n071.11
Hi,

This is to the person that was having trouble producing a loaf of bread.  The
problem seemed to be that the bread did not rise at all despite the careful
checking of all ingred, resulting in a rock-like loaf.  The person used a
cuisinart to mix and knead the dough.

I use a cuisinart for bread making and it is possible to 1) overknead  and/or
2) kill the yeast by heating it up too much.

As soon as the dough forms a nice ball (ie you have achieved the right ratio
of flour to liquid), you should only knead this dough for 30-45 secounds.  I
have seen several references that state 45sec in the cuisinart = 10 min by
hand or by kichenaid.
Also the motor of the cuisinart heats up the dough and if the dough gets too
hot, the yeast will suffer.  I proof my yeast breifly in a small amount of
warm water (95-105 degrees F), then add the remaining liquid to the flour in
the cuisinart at room temp (not warm).  In one of Julia Child's books (Baking
with Julia, I think), she actually adds COLD water to the cuisinart to
prevent the dough from getting too hot.

These are the two factors that I believe might be causing you trouble.

Let us know how it works out!
Good Luck,
pam d