Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n069

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 09:34:24 -0400
v098.n070.12
> From: "Robert Bursey" <rbursey@arrowsmith.net>
> Subject: Alternative spreads for bread.
>

> I am looking for alternatives to butter/margarine. For example, I have
> tried olive oil/balsamic vinegar and like it, but it is not suitable for
> spreading; it is more for dipping. I like jam on toast, but find it too dry
> without butter. I would prefer something non-diary if at all possible, but
> as long as it's lower in fat I am interested in any ideas.
>
> Thanks.

I asked one of my co-workers, who is a registered dietitian for suggestions
in this area and she gave me back a long list, which I'll reproduce for
you below:

DINA'S BREAD SPREAD BRAINSTORM:

Non-dairy:

- Hummus (Comes in 8 or 16 oz tub, most supermarkets, usually refrigerated,
made of pureed chick peas, garlic, sesame seed, lemon, and spices. Comes in
flavors like roasted red pepper, extra garlic, vegetable, etc. Very
nutritious. Also makes a good sandwich filling with lettuce, tomato,
sprouts, etc.)
- Bean dip (Comes in a jar, not refrigerated. Find by the salsa in the
store. Black bean and white bean are 2 tasty, and usually fat free,
varieties available. Very nutritious. Best thing to do is find a recipe at
the library and make your own!)
- Tofutti "Better than cream cheese" (nondairy cream cheese - not terribly
low in fat, but if you use just a little it is! Comes in many flavors. Made
of tofu and vegetable gums. Find in specialty food stores, particularly in
Jewish neighborhoods. Contains soy protein, which has been linked to
reduced risk of many diseases.)
- "Bread Spreads"  (Jars of different flavors of bread spreads, found in
the condiment aisle of Bread & Circus. One was an artichoke spread. I
forget the other flavors but the artichoke one was yummy. Low fat too.)
- Soy nut butter (Like peanut butter but lower in fat and made of roasted
soybeans rather than peanuts. While not very low in fat, it's high in soy
protein, which has been linked to reduced risk of many diseases. To keep it
low fat, use a very light layer and top with some jam or jelly.)

Non-dairy, reduced fat margarine substitute spreads:

- Canoleo (Made mostly of canola oil, very low in saturated fats. Find in a
tub at whole foods market.)
- Olivio (Made mostly of olive oil, very low in saturated fats. Find in a
tub at whole foods market.)
- Spectrum Spread (Free of saturated and trans fatty acids. Find in a tub
at whole foods market. Has a different taste than most margarine-like
spreads.)

Dairy:

- Strained cottage cheese blended with fruit
- Reduced fat strawberry cream cheese (I find it to be as tasty as the
fatty stuff)

Hope this helps!

Dina Fitzsimons, MS, RD

--