Need KA tips

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 09:13:28 -0500
v098.n051.20
> I recall reading on this list that when using a KA mixer for bread, it's
> good to have the dough a bit sticky since otherwise one runs the risk of a
> door stop.  I don't have an ABM and am using my new KA to knead bread.  I
> am using some of the ABM recipes that have been posted and notice that I
> am having to add a lot more flour than the recipes call for; for example,
> I made the garlic herb bread and probably added 2 more cups (I thought it
> turned out well), and I have the cottage cheese dill bread coming out of
> the oven right now--I added at least 1 more than the 3 cups of flour
> called for, but the dough was still pretty sticky.  How does one tell how
> much flour is right?  I'd rather let the KA do the work--but I want good
> bread!

Helen,
  Of course it depends upon where you live, the amount of
humidity, etc.; however, 2-3 cups of extra flour certainly sounds
like a lot to me!

  There are too many to post here without an incredibly long
message, so let me point you to my recipe Web page:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/recipes.html

  I have a bunch of bread recipes, and nearly all of them have been
made in my KitchenAid at some point or other -- a tool I regularly
use for bread-making.  I have no idea what recipe you're using or
what kind of bread you're making (sweet, savory, flat, etc.), so
maybe that will give you a few tips to go on in comparing your
recipes.

  Again, I know that the amount of humidity does affect how much
flour you add, but what you've mentioned seems an incredible
amount.  I do NOT ensure that my dough is a bit on the sticky side
when using my KitchenAid, although occasionally it does because
I didn't measure just right.  I use the same recipes whether I'm
making by hand, in the Cuisinart, KitchenAid, whatever.  I guess
having dough on the sticky side (a little) wouldn't hurt too much,
but I've never heard anything like that as far as a recommendation.
I don't intentionally do that with my machine and everything comes
out wonderfully airy, fluffy, tender, etc.  No bricks in my kitchen!

Hope that helps a bit,
Joan