Rosemary Bread

Vernon Webster <vernon@the-spa.demon.co.uk>
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:32:16 +0100
v098.n051.18
Hello Ben Strong and all,
	I am afraid I cannot help with regard to the rosemary flat bread
recipe that was posted previously but I do have a Linda Collister recipe
which may be of interest.

FOCACCIA with Rosemary and Sea Salt
		-    makes 1 loaf

15g fresh yeast *
280 ml water ( room temperature )
6-7 Tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp sea salt
2 Tblsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus extra sprigs
about 500 g unbleached white bread flour ( I often use pasta flour)
2 tsp coarse sea salt
extra flour for dusting
extra oil for greasing bowl

a roasting or baking tin, about 25cm x 35cm

* to use easy-blend dried yeast:-
Add one 7g sachet with the chopped rosemary
Put all liquid in the bowl at once and proceed with the recipe

1/   Cream yeast to a smooth liquid with half the water.
2/   Add 3 tbsp oil and the remaining water.
3/   Add salt, chopped rosemary and half the flour.
4/   Beat into the liquid with your hand.
5/   When combined, work in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft
but not sticky dough.
6/   Knead for 10 mins until smooth and silky (or 5 mins slowly in a mixer
with a dough hook).
7/   Leave to rise (doubled in size) at cool to normal temperature in a
lightly oiled mixing bowl, covered with a damp tea towel - about 2 hours.
8/   Knock back and shape into a rectangle, then press into the base of the
tin. Push into the corners and even out.
9/   Cover and let rise until about doubled (about 45mins).
10/ Flour fingertips and make 1 cm dimples in the dough at regular intervals.
11/ Cover and let double again - about an hour (I find it takes less time). **
12/ Press sprigs of rosemary into the dimples and fill with olive oil.
13/ Sprinkle with sea salt.
14/ **Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220C (425F) Gas 7 for 20-25mins or until
golden brown then cool an a wire rack.

I love this with strong cheese!

For variations try :-
Olives