Best Biscuits

Terri Mensch <herseybb@mind.net>
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:01:08 -0700
v098.n041.5
This morning I just learned another neat thing about this recipe.  The last
time I made biscuits, I didn't need as many as the recipe makes.  So, I
placed the cut biscuits (unbaked) on a cookie sheet and froze them.  When
frozen, I put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer.  Today, I took out as
many as I needed, and put them, still frozen, in the preheated oven.  They
still raised up nice ane golden.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Sourdough Biscuits

Recipe By     : http://elroy.nmsu.edu/cahe/redtops/_e/e-207
Serving Size  : 14   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

                        The day before:
     1/2  cup           all-purpose flour
   1      tablespoon    sugar
   1      cup           sourdough starter
     2/3  cup           milk

                        The morning of:
   2      teaspoons     baking powder
   1      teaspoon      baking soda
   1      teaspoon      salt
   2      cups          all-purpose flour
     1/2  cup           shortening

The day before:
Stir together 1/2 cup flour, sugar, sourdough starter and milk in non-metal
mixing bowl until smooth.  Cover loosely with waxed paper and let stand in
a warm place (80-85 degrees) at least 18 hours.

The morning of:
Stir batter down.  Stir together 2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder
and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Blend
in starter mixture.  Add more flour if necessary to make a soft dough.
Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead gently 30 seconds.  Roll out
1/2-inch thick.  Cut out biscuits with floured cutter.  Place on ungreased
baking sheet.  Bake in preheated 450 degree oven 10-12 minutes.

NOTES : Place the shortening in the freezer the night before.

This is perfect for the food processor, using the dough blade.
Terri
Christ is Risen Alleluia \o/