KitchenAid Mixers

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Sun, 10 May 1998 22:53:20 -0700
v098.n038.5
Dear Jill and Joe and all the bakers,

You were asking about the KitchenAid Mixer.  I have used one for years,
and will tell you that you do not need to knead the dough after you take
it out of the mixing bowl if you have let the machine do the kneading.
That said, I will confess that I usually knead the dough by hand for at
least a few turns to check the consistency of the dough.  I find that if
the dough is still just slightly sticky, I get a better loaf.  Beware of
one thing with the KA mixer:  it will knead more flour into the dough
than you would.  You can get very stiff dough that gives you less than
perfect bread.  Okay, you can get doorstops.  You must check the
consistency of the dough in the bowl from time to time.  If the dough
cleans the sides of the bowl, even briefly, don't add any more flour
until you have checked the dough.  If it is very sticky, then you can
add more flour.  Sometimes, especially with whole grain breads, the
dough doesn't clean the sides of the bowl until it has way too much
flour in it.  Add the flour sparingly, and check frequently, and you
will be fine.

I have been using my KA for about fifteen years.  The only repairs I
have had to make have been to buy new little rubber feet, since the got
old and sticky, and had to tap the control lever back into place after
my pizza stone fell on it.  I love my KitchenAid!

Keep Baking Bread!

Ruth
Ephesians 2:8-9