Inconsistent rising

seakayak1@juno.com (Richard L Wilson)
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 19:43:09 -0500
v098.n026.1
Greetings to the list:

I've been lurking for two months and thoroughly enjoy the list.   I
received an Oster bread machine from my daughter for Christmas and have
been using it several times a week.  I make all our bread and rolls
(dough setting) in the machine and am generally pleased.  However, I have
a problem of inconsistent rising with an oatmeal bread.  The first rising
yields dough risen to the top of the pan but the second rising, usually,
is only half way to the top of the pan.  Occasionally, the second rising
will equal the first but usually not.  French bread and a white sweet
bread that I make usually rise equally, generally to the top of the pan.

The oatmeal bread recipe is an adaptation of the multigrain bread recipe
that comes in the Oster book.  I substituted oatmeal for multigrain
cereal.  I also substitute olive oil for the melted butter/shortening to
since I am to avoid saturated fat, but I make this substitution in all my
bread recipes.  I have tried a little more water, warmer water, new
yeast, a little more yeast (25 percent), a lot more yeast (50percent),
two different five pound bags of Gold Medal white bread flour, white
bread flour from Sam's Club (Bakers and Chefs Bread flour) and two
different five pound bags of Gold Medal wheat blend bread flour.  So far,
nothing helps.  Calling the Oster 800 number resulted in the 50 percent
increased yeast suggestion but all it did was make the bread slightly
sour so I haven't repeated that one.

The basic recipe for a one pound loaf is:

2/3 cup water
1    Tablespoon Olive oil
1    cup white flour
3/4 cup wheat flour (I use wheat blend which has some white)
1/2 cup oatmeal
2    Tablespoons brown sugar
1    teaspoon salt
2    teaspoons bread machine yeast

I would be grateful for any suggestions.  I have no experience baking
bread by hand so can't fall back on that experience.

Richard

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]