Sourdough Flunky

Kathy Reckner <scizwiz@lazerlink.com>
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:10:37 -0500
v098.n025.9
    I have two sourdough starters going: one with commercial yeast, one
without any added yeast. My problem: how do I know when they are ready
for use? Is it evident by smell? Texture? Does a sourdough bread fairy
fly through my kitchen, smack me upside the head with a dough hook and
scream, "It's ready, you idiot!!"?
    And, when should I refrigerate the starters? I haven't found this
information on any of the sourdough sites I've visited. As a sourdough
flunky, I need all the information I can get!
TIA
                        -Kat-
P.S. You know, this stuff looks like it would make a GREAT wallpaper
paste! :)