Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n015

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 20:58:56 -0500
v098.n016.18
On Sat, Feb 21, 1998 at 03:09:19PM -0800, bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com wrote:
> From: Sheryl Cohen <scohen@ibbotson.com>
> Subject: package of yeast
> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:46:57 -0600
>
> How many teaspoons is 1 pkg of yeast?  I bought a jar of yeast since I
> make bread about once a week.  I often come across recipes that say 1
> pkg of yeast or 1 small pkg of yeast.  I am worried that adding the
> wrong amount of yeast is really going to affect how well the bread turns
> out.  Thanks!

One packet of yeast (at least the packets as they are sold in grocery
stores in the U.S, if not elsewhere) is a "scant tablespoon", which
I take to mean just a smidge less than a level tablespoon.

Using a little "too much" or a little "too little" isn't going to
make any significant difference in the bread. Depending on how active
your yeast is (and how much food its finding in your dough, the dough
temperature, etc) it may rise a tad faster or slower, but I doubt the
difference would be noticeable, given other variables involved. If you
use WAAAAAAY too much the yeasty flavor may be stronger, but I think
you would need quite a lot more than the minimum necessary for that to
become a problem.

Fred

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------