Egg Replacer and soy flour

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 22:54:35 -0800
v098.n016.15
Dear bk,

As far as the soy flour goes, you can just add about 1 tablespoon per
cup of wheat flour for nutrition.  The flavor of soy flour is such that
any more than that might adversely affect the flavor of your bread.
Just put the 1 T in the bottom of the cup, then fill the rest of the way
with flour.  There is something called the Cornell formula, or something
like that, which calls for placing 1 T soy flour, 1 T dry milk, and 1
tsp wheat germ in the bottom of each cup of flour to add nutrition.  You
might want to try that.

As far as the egg replacer from E-ner-g (or however they spell it!), we
use it all the time because our son is allergic to egg whites.  We don't
have much trouble with it, so I don't know why your cornbread came out
flat.  Did you add the water as instructed?  I have used it in cakes and
had them come out fine, but not as good as if I had used eggs.  There is
a difference in "mouthfeel," but the cakes are usually pretty good.  I
have a recipe from King Arthur for cake-pan cake that requires no eggs
and is pretty good, too.  If you want it, you might check their web site
or look on the back of a bag of their all-purpose flour.  That is where
I  got the recipe in the first place.  Or, I could e-mail it to you.

I posted some other egg substitutes a while back.  If you want them, let
me know and I can try to re-post.

Ruth