3 Pizza Recipes + Dough

bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com (Bob Stedfeld)
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 13:40:00 -0500
v098.n013.13
Here are three pizza recipes plus a bread-machine dough
recipe with seasonings added for each kind of pizza.  The
pizzas are "loaded" with goodies; I make them for dinner.
Each makes a 13-inch pizza. I use a stone and prebake the
crust lightly so the assembled pizza can be handled easily.

Pizza with The Works
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 lb or more pizza dough, preferably home-made
        bread-machine dough made with Seasonings 1
        (see recipe)
Olive oil for brushing crust
One-half of 14-oz jar of thick spaghetti sauce
1 tomato or 3 plum tomatoes, sliced thin or
        chopped coarsely
1 medium onion, sliced thin
4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced
1/4 green bell pepper, sliced in 1 to 2-inch
        long strips
1/8 lb ham sliced thin in 1 to 1-1/2 inch squares
        or triangles (optional)
10 to 12 large or 15 small pitted black
        olives, halved
1/8 lb pizza-size pepperoni
1/4 lb bulk Italian sausage
1/2 lb shredded cheese, mozzarella plus other
        cheese (provolone, havarti, muenster, gruyere)
Corn meal

Fry sausage in chunks.  Don't brown (fry lightly).  Drain
off fat. Let cool. Preheat pizza stone to 450 F.  Grease
pizza pan lightly.

Stretch out dough starting at the edge to less than size of
pizza pan. Try to keep most of the dough in the middle, not
out at the edge.  Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes, covered.
Stretch dough to fit pan.  Pinch up rim.  Let rise for 15 to
20 minutes.

Put fork holes all over dough.  Bake dough 5 to 9 minutes
(watch top) until off-white or light tan.  Be sure that
crust bakes enough or it will fall and be "doughy."
Puncture with fork or flatten with spatula if it "blows up."
Sprinkle wooden peel with corn meal.

Turn oven down to 400 F.  Move crust to peel.  Wipe off pan
with paper towel and put it in oven, below the stone.  Brush
crust lightly with olive oil.  Spread pizza sauce on crust,
then rest of ingredients in order shown.  Reserve most of
cheese.

Slide pizza onto stone.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Spread rest
of cheese on pizza and bake for 5 minutes more, a total of
20 minutes.  Move to pan for slicing.  Let sit for 5 to 10
minutes before slicing.

White Pizza with Chicken and Cheese
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Olive oil (about 3 Tbsp)
1 lb pizza dough (preferably bread-machine dough
        with Seasonings 2 -- see recipe)
2 boneless chicken half-breasts (10 to 14 oz)
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup (5 to 6) fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil
1 cup (4 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 oz) swiss cheese, shredded

Slice chicken breasts thinly.  Mix two types of shredded
cheese together.  Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil skillet.  Saute
chicken, onions and garlic until chicken is cooked through.
Add mushrooms, basil, salt and pepper, and cook another
minute or two.

Follow instructions for Pizza with the Works for baking.

Can also add bok choy, sweet pepper.

Versatile Vegetable Pizza
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 lb pizza dough (preferably home-made bread-machine
        dough with Seasonings 3 -- see recipe)
One-half of 14-oz jar of thick spaghetti sauce
3/4 to 1 cup white or yellow onion,  sliced thin
1/2 green bell pepper, stripped thin
1 to 2 carrots, shredded
1 stalk broccoli, small florets only
1 large or 2 small zucchini or yellow squash,
        sliced 1/4 inch thick and halved if necessary
1 large or 2 small tomatoes, sliced thin
4 to 5 mushrooms, sliced

Seasonings:
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

2 cups or more (4 to 7 oz) shredded mixed cheese --
        Havarti, cheddar, mozzarella, muenster, gruyere

Follow instructions for Pizza with the Works.

Brush baked crust lightly with olive oil.  Spread pizza
sauce on crust, then rest of ingredients in order shown.
Sprinkle with seasonings. Reserve most of cheese.

Polish Sauerkraut and Pickle Pizza
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 lb pizza dough, preferably home-made bread-machine
        dough with Seasonings 4 -- see recipe

8 oz kielbasa sausage, sliced 1/8 inch thick
        (about 50 to 60 pieces)
1 large onion, sliced in half along the axis,
        then sliced thin crosswise
2 Tbsp olive oil plus more for brushing
1 can (14.5 oz) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, and
        squeezed dry
3/4 cup dill pickles, drained and chopped coarsely
1/2 tsp dill weed, dried
1/2 lb shredded mozzarella cheese (substitute or
        include cheddar, swiss, havarti, muenster or
        other cheese mixture)

Follow baking instructions for Pizza with the Works.

Mix different types of shredded cheese together.  Heat 2
Tbsp olive oil in skillet and cook onion on medium setting
until tender. Add dill weed, pickles and sauerkraut.  Mix
together and take off heat.

Brush crust lightly with olive oil.  Using a slotted spoon,
spread sauerkraut mixture on crust.  Top with kielbasa
slices.  Spread part of cheese, reserving most of cheese.

Bread-Machine Pizza Dough
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
3/4 cup water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast
Seasonings 1, 2 or 3
2 cups white flour (not bread flour)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp flour or semolina if dough is too
      moist

Seasonings 1 -- Pizza with The Works:
        1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp
        thyme

Seasonings 2 -- White Pizza with Chicken
        and Cheese:  1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp
        oregano, 1/4 tsp rosemary

Seasonings 3 -- Versatile Vegetable Pizza:
        1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/8 tsp
        garlic powder

Seasonings 4 -- Polish Sauerkraut Pickle
        Pizza:  1/2 tsp dill

This recipe is for a Hitachi B201.
Cycle:  Knead and First Rise
Bread setting

Bob Stedfeld   bob.stedfeld@pcohio.com
>> Books for Cooks:  Tarts and Tortes by Sol Issiter <<
<<<>>>

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.com
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pc-ohio.com