Demand better ranges

BillyFish@aol.com
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:28:14 EST
v098.n012.3
"Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper@idt.net> wrote in a response:

I do my first rise in the oven, with the light switched on --
that keeps it about 80 F.  But the second rise is a problem,
since the  oven needs to be preheating while the dough rises.
Lately, I have been putting the bread pans on top of an electric
heating pad set on low, with a towel over the pad to keep it clean
and waxed paper over the loaves.  Works very well for me.
<<<<<<<<

I have complained to Genral Electric about the inability to raise dough in
their pilotless gas range.  They probably consider me to be a nut.  The
justify not having a low temperature available as a health safety measure.

It is not clear to me that pilotless really saves energy.  Instead and
electric ignitor runs all the time.  That, however, is another story.

They also have all the electrical arrangement available for very sophisticated
oven control.  They refuse to do so.  Instead, probably because they always
did it that way, have a lousy ergonomic oven controller.  There is an
opportunity for third party equipment more congenial to mad bakers everywhere.

Please complain to range suppliers.  They can brush me off, but it a swarm of
other also complain, better products may result.

William Buchman