testing yeast

rprovanc@gmu.edu
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:31:04 -0800
v098.n010.10
Hello, everybody!

I performed a semi-scientific experiment today.   I made two batches of
my daily bread
 (see the recipe at: http://www.upword.com/bread/daily.html  ).
They were identical as far as I can make them without a scale and other
high-tech equipment, except for the yeast.  One was made with a packet
of SAF yeast, and the other with 2 1/4 tsp of Red Star Active dry yeast,
which I buy in loose bulk at Fresh Fields Whole Foods Market.  The
breads were made in my KitchenAid mixer, using the instant blend method,
that is, the yeast was mixed with the dry ingredients, not proofed in
liquid.

The result was the bread with the SAF yeast did rise higher than the Red
Star bread, but both breads were yummy and beautiful, and the SAF yeast
did not perform so well that I would go to great expense, both in time
and treasure, to buy more.  If it were as easily available as the Red
Star, I might buy it, but I find the Red Star does a fine job, for less
cost.

While I have your attention:  Does anybody know of a source for
triticale flour in the Washington, D.C. area?  I know I can mail-order
it from King Arthur, but would like to buy locally, if possible.  For
those of you who don't have any idea what I am talking about (including
the bulk foods manager at Fresh Fields!), triticale is a high-protien
cross between wheat and rye.  I have baked bread with it years ago, and
would like to try it again.  My husband, the agricultural economist,
says that a lot of triticale is raised in Hungary and Germany, and he
would like to try it, too.  I call it my "Star Trek Bread," for all you
Trekkers out there!

Coming next week:  A comparison of SAF and Fleishman's Rapid Rise
Yeast!  If I remember to do it! <g>  My next project after all this
yeast comparison will be to try the lemon juice trick, and to make the
homemade dough conditioner and try it.

Love this baking stuff!

Keep Baking!

Ruth Provance