Re: Unusual way to raise dough

"Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper@idt.net>
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:42:04 +0000
v098.n010.4
And it came to pass on 25 Jan 98, that Sally Eisenberg
<sparky@netgate.net> wrote:

>     Heres one that will make you laugh.
> The way I get bread dough to rise in the winter months, is to set my
> bread in a greased bowl, set the bowl on a cooling rack and then set
> the rack over a heat register on the floor, that I have close off so
> it won't get to hot for the dough. It works great every time.

I do my first rise in the oven, with the light switched on --
that keeps it about 80 F.  But the second rise is a problem,
since the  oven needs to be preheating while the dough rises.
Lately, I have been putting the bread pans on top of an electric
heating pad set on low, with a towel over the pad to keep it clean
and waxed paper over the loaves.  Works very well for me.

Harper *** Robin Carroll-Mann
harper @ idt.net
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
Harper's Bread Basket http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3967