CAMPFIRE BREAD

"Mary Pemberton (03)9524 2443" <PEMBERTON.MARY@a2.abc.net.au>
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:18:27 +1000
v098.n008.4
    Is there anyone on the list who has experience baking bread on a
    campfire?  We have just spent a week by a river and I experimented with
    baking in a cast iron pot (known as camp oven).  I tried putting a
    round bread tin on a trivet in the pot sitting over coals, and added
    coals on top of the lid to simulate an oven.   While everyone ate up
    the first loaf it did turn out better the second time when we ate it
    with pea and ham soup also cooked over the fire.

    Then I tried it just in the pan on a steel plate over the fire - still
    with coals on top.   This resulted in a loaf which was very crusty on
    the bottom, but still eaten up by all.

    I should add that I used a flour sold as "pasta dura" flour, which
    needs only one rising and when the loaves/rolls/whatever are shaped
    they are put into a cold oven (set to heat to 220C for baking).  Next
    time out I hope to try "normal" bread flour put into a heated pot.

    Or is there a site which would cover this?

    Thanks,

    Mary Pemberton