banneton info/recipe

"Janis Russell" <janis@ethos.net>
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 19:23:51 +0000
v098.n006.6
Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas for lining my new banneton.  I
tried using a thin non-terry cloth towel, which helped, but the ridges
weren't visible.  I wound up using a piece of cheese cloth and a ton of
flour. The basket is 18 inches long and a little awkward to handle, but I'm
getting the hang of it. (I would think a round or oval-shaped basket might
be easier...any comments?) The cheese cloth really helped getting the dough
out in one piece.  I sprinkled a little cornmeal on top of a strip of
parchment paper lining a peel. Once the dough was on the peel (UNdeflated,
I might add!), I used a pastry brush to gently remove the excess half ton
of flour, then made a few diagonal slashes across the loaf. Using a peel to
transfer the dough onto a hot baking stone is also a bit awkward for
me..the dough usually hangs off the edge of the  stone, down through the
oven rack,and cornmeal flies everywhere! So,I've learned to cheat with the
help of parchment paper - and a cookie sheet can substitute for a peel.
Anyway, it turned out beautifully! Earlier attempts were not so successful
due to a very moist dough. As soon as I tweak the recipe, I'll post it.  In
the meantime, here's my standard weekly baguette recipe. The directions
says it makes two baguettes, I put the whole thing in the banneton & it
worked great.  You can also make several mini baguettes.

               BAGUETTES (ABM)

	1 1/4	CUPS		WATER
   	1	TEASPOON	LEMON JUICE
	1 1/2	TEASPOONS	SALT
	3	CUPS		BREAD FLOUR
   	2	TABLESPOONS	RYE FLOUR
	2 1/4	TEASPOONS	ACTIVE DRY YEAST

Select dough cycle.  When complete, punch dough down by starting bread
machine, let stir a few seconds, then stop machine.  Place on floured work
surface and let rest five minutes.  Divide into two balls.  Roll each into
10x6 rectangle.  Fold dough in half lengthwise, then fold again. Pinch
seams together.  Place seam side down on baker's peel sprinkled with
cornmeal.  Cut top of loaf with 1/4" deep diagonal slashes at 2" intervals.
 Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Preheat oven and baking stone to
450F.  Sprinkle stone with cornmeal.  Transfer dough from peel to stone.
Bake for 22-28 minutes.  Create steam for a crispy crust.
NOTE : If using a baking sheet, rather than a baking stone, sprinkle with
cornmeal before placing dough on pan, then cover and let rise.

This recipe is from THE ULTIMATE BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK by Tom Lacalamita.
I noticed in an earlier post, a comment about using lemon juice. Many of
the recipes in his book call for lemon juice, I think it really makes a
difference. I often add it to my recipes.  Also, dont' omit the rye flour.
Although it's a small amount, the rye lends a wonderful texture to the
bread. This is excellent bread...with or without a banneton!

Janis