Quick Wheat Rolls

"Schragal" <schragal@ix.netcom.com>
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 11:53:59 -0500
v098.n006.3
  After seeing the recipe for the 60 minute rolls I remembered this
recipe.   It's fast, makes quite a few, and my husband and kids love
them.

                 *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                              Whole Wheat Rolls

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 36
Categories    : Breads - Yeast

   1      cup           hot water
   1      cup           wheat flakes(Pettyjohns),or Quick Oats
(Oatmeal)
     1/2  cup           sugar
     1/2  cup           Crisco
   1      teaspoon      salt
   2      pkgs.         dry yeast -- OR 2 T.
     3/4  cup           fairly warm water -- (110-115°)
   1      teaspoon      sugar
   2                    eggs
   5      cups          flour

In a large bowl pour hot water over the flakes, sugar, Crisco and
salt.
Let stand awhile.
     In a small bowl mix the yeast with 3/4 cup warm water and 1
teasp.
sugar and let stand until you can see that it's working.
     Beat eggs and combine with flake mixture and the yeast; plus the

flour.  KNEAD about 5 min.
     Then roll out about 1/2" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter.
Put into a greased, 4 qt. rectangular Pyrex baking dish with the
rolls
touching one another.  LET RAISE UNTIL DOUBLED.
     BAKE:  375° until golden.  Brush with butter when done.

These rolls will come out either white or brown depending on what
you're using.  The Pettyjohns and the oatmeal produce white rolls.
You can also use a wheat and white mix flour or substitute some
unprocessed wheat bran for part of the flour.

Donna
Donna in Ohio
schragal@ix.netcom.com