Re: bannetons

dc@resilience.com (Don Charles Lundell)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:53:30 -0800
v098.n005.1
> --------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v098.n001.19 ---------------

(stuff deleted)

> When fully
> risen, you need to gently "tip" the loaf out onto a cornmeal or flour
> dusted peel to be then placed on a heated stone in your oven or onto a
> lightly greased baking pan to be then placed in the oven.

A trick I got from someone (works very well).  Instead of dusting the
peel, liberally sprinkle the cornmeal or semolina on the risen loaf while
it's in the banneton.  Then, invert the peel or baking sheet and place it
against the basket.  Flip the whole thing over and remove the banneton.

Then, slide the loaf onto the baking stone in your preheated (and pre-steamed)
oven.

This technique avoids the shock of flipping a sometimes delicate loaf onto its
back - less likely to deflate.

Works like a charm.

- dc