Potato rolls

miller@micro.ti.com (Jenni Miller)
Mon, 12 Jan 98 08:50:38 EST
v098.n004.18
I think this is my first post to this list. I hope I'm doing it correctly.

I made these rolls for dinner last night, to have with our beef stew.
They were really good...light, fluffy and tasty.  This recipe came from
"Bread Machine Magic", by Rehberg and Conway, but I made
some variations, so I'm just going to explain the way I made them.

Oh, here's a question.  Does anyone know how to effectively use whole
wheat flour?  Whenever I use it in a recipe, even when it's only a portion of
the flour used, I end up with a chewy brick. Very discouraging.

thanks-
jenni

Potato Rolls

1/2 c. water
3 tbsp. ICBINB-light*
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. mashed potatoes**
2 c. all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1.5 tsp. yeast

* I Can't Believe It's Not Butter--Light (the original recipe
called for shortening)
** I mixed 1/3 c. instant garlic-flavored potato buds with
1/3 c. water and cooked it in the microwave

Add to bread machine according to manufacturer's directions.  Select dough
cycle.  When complete, place dough on heavily floured board or cloth.  When I
made this dough, it was very soft and sticky. Gently rolling the dough in
the flour on the cloth once was very helpful.

I divided it into 12 balls and placed them in a cooking-sprayed
muffin tin. Let rise for 30-45 mins (until doubled).

Bake for 13-14 mins. at 400F.

After putting the dough into the tin, I covered the tin in plastic wrap and
put it in the refrigerator, to be baked for dinner the next day. I took
the dough out of the refrigerator as the oven was preheating and then
popped them in the oven.  I don't know if this is technically correct,
but they turned out just fine!