yeast

Ann Schemmer <ann@acsnet.com>
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:15:42 -0600
v097.n078.8
Hi friend breadbaker,

Yes, that bag of yeast is different.  it is little round granuals instead
of almost a powder.  I find that the best way to use it is to do the
proofing in warm water with a little sugar before adding to the flour
mixture.   A hint from one of the bakers here suggested that you take out a
couple of months worth and freeze the rest.  And always keep it in the
refrigerator between bakings...I take mine out of the fridge about 2 hours
before using to warm up.  good luck.
Ann S

From: Chettacka <Chettacka@aol.com>
Subject: Yeast
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 09:21:39 EST
A couple weeks into a hand-me-down bread machine, and I discovered the
inconvenience of those little yeast packets.  The $5-jar of yeast was big
news
to me!!!

Now, a couple months into it, that jar doesn't seem to last very long AND
it
seems expensive, compared to a 25-pound bag of bread flour.

At a local warehouse operations (Sam's Club) they have a larger quantity of
yeast (1 pound???) for $2.99.  The package says that, once opened, it must
be
used within 2 weeks.

Is this yeast something different from the little jars and packets???

I guess I just have some basic yeast questions and would appreciate any
advice/thoughts.