Povitica

snardo@onramp.net
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 20:56:56 -0500
v097.n075.1
We have heard this Croatian bread called Potica (pronounced Po-tee-sa, and
also called Kolachi, Povitica, Nutbread, Orahnjaca or Povanica. But in the
village
that Emily and my family come from, Gerovo, in Gorski Kotar, we call it
Povitica. There is even a commercial baker in Kansas City that markets the
bread as "Strawberry Hill Povitica". (Strawberry Hill being the region
where our ancestors settled at the turn of the century.)  What do you call
it where your ancestors came from? What is the origin of the word Povitica?
Call me at the phone number below.

If you would like a video tape on how to make this wonderful bread which
also includes a short history of Strawberry Hill and backed by tamburitza
music by our local musicians,make out a check to Povitica, and send it to
Povitica,
Croatian Council of Kansas City, 408 North 5th, Kansas City, Kansas
66101. If you need it quicker, call my office, Wolf Photography,
913/384-9653 and my wife Mary will take your order. Sister Katarina and
the children of St. Theresa's Orphanage in Zagreb will be thankful.

Don Wolf

Let me just add that this is not a bread but a cake. In fact it's a
Croatian walnut roll. I have copied these two related recipes from
Croatian Cuisine written by Alojzije and Ruzica Kapetanovic.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                       MAKOVNJACA (Poppy Seed Roll)

Recipe By     : Croatian Cuisine by Alojzije and Ruzica Kapetanovic
Categories    : Bread                            Breakfast

   3 1/2  cups          flour
     3/4  cup           milk
     1/4  cup           sugar
   2      cakes         yeast
   2                    egg yolks
   1      teaspoon      lemon rind -- grated
   6      tablespoons   melted butter
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
                        --Filling:--
   2      cups          ground poppy seeds
     1/2  cup           sweet cream
   3      tablespoons   raisins
     1/2  cup           sugar
   4      tablespoons   honey
     1/2  teaspoon      cinnamon
   1      tablespoon    rum
   1      teaspoon      lemon rind

     Allow the yeast to rise in one quarter cup of warm milk until
doubled in size. Sift the flour into a deep bowl. Make a well in the
center and place the yeast in the well. Add the remaining milk, sugar,
egg yolks, lemon rind, vanilla, butter and salt. Mix together well and
beat with a wooden spoon until blisters begin to form on the dough.
Place in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a
warm place for about an hour or until doubled in bulk.
     Divide the dough into two sections. Roll each section out very
thin, brush with melted butter and fill with poppy seed filling. Roll
like a savijaca* by filling the edge of the table-cloth on which the
dough was rolled out. Place the two sections of MAKOVNJACA on a well
greased baking sheet and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place for
another half hour. Brush the rolls with a well beaten egg white and bake
at 350 F for about an hour until they become golden. Cool before slicing
and serving.
     Filling:
     Mix the finely ground poppy seeds, the lemon rind, raisins, sugar
and cinnamon. Spread this mixture over the rolled out dough. Heat the
cream. Combine the cream, honey and rum and pour this mixture over the
poppy seeds. Roll the MAKOVNJACA up like a sajivaca.

* savijaca is 'a roll' in Croatian.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                         OREHNJACA (Walnut Roll)

Recipe By     : Croatian Cuisine by Alojzije and Ruzica Kapetanovic
Categories    :
                        --MAKOVNJACA Dough:--
   3 1/2  cups          flour
     3/4  cup           milk
     1/4  cup           sugar
   2                    cakes yeast
   2                    egg yolks
   1      teaspoon      lemon rind -- grated
   6      tablespoons   melted butter
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
                        --Filling:--
     1/2  cup           melted butter
     3/4  cup           sugar
   1      cup           hot milk
   2      tablespoons   strawberry jam
   1      pound         walnuts -- ground
   1      teaspoon      grated lemon peel
     1/4  cup           raisins
   1      teaspoon      cinnamon
   2      tablespoons   rum

     MAKOVNJACA Dough:
[...]
     OREHNJACA Filling:
     Pour the scalded milk over the walnuts.  Combine with the remaining
ingredients and allow to cool before spreading over the dough.  Fill
with the walnut filling.  Bake according to the directions for
MAKOVNJACA.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :      We have heard this Croatian bread called Potica (pronounced
Po-tee-sa, and also called Kolachi, Povitica, Nutbread, Orahnjaca or
Povanica.  But in the village that Emily and my family come from,
Gerovo, in Gorski Kotar, we call it Povitica.  There is even a
commercial baker in Kansas City that markets the bread as "Strawberry
Hill Povitica".  (Strawberry Hill being the region where our ancestors
settled at the turn of the century.)  What do you call it where your
ancestors came from?  What is the origin of the word Povitica?  Call me
at 913/384-9653 .
     Let me just add that this is not a bread but a cake.  In fact it's
a Croatian walnut roll.

Don Wolf

Article contributed by: