Re: Povitica

TShea66106@aol.com
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:17:26 -0500 (EST)
v097.n073.9
<<Does anyone have a recipe for this??  I am drooling over a picture of it in
a mail order food catalog.  The ad says:

This traditional Croatian dessert bread is very popular around Kansas City.
 Nuts, cheese, or fruit are rolled into a cake like bread dough and then
baked to perfection.  Flavors are English Walnut, Cream Cheese and Apple.

Thanks,
Reggie>>

I attended the annual Serbian Festival at the St. George Serbian Orthodox
Church in Kansas City, Kansas this weekend.  Povitica was just one of the
many wonderful specialties we tried there.  This recipe comes from the Sveta
Petka Sisters Circle cookbook (from St. George?s church):

Povitica (Nut Bread)

?Rich dough filled with ground nuts, butter, touch of cinnamon and egg rich
topping.  Traditionally served at weddings and all holidays.  An
international favorite!?

2 cups milk, scalded
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup warm water

Heat milk until scalded; add salt and sugar.  Add warm water right before
using to make mixture; cool.

1/2 cup Crisco, melted
3 eggs, beaten

Mix eggs and Crisco, and add to the milk mixture.

1 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
2 pkg. dry yeast

Dissolve yeast in warm water and add 1 tsp. sugar.  Let set and ferment 15
minutes or until double its size.  Add yeast mixture to above mixtures and
mix well.  Use 8 to 10 cups flour or more as required.  Add 4 to 6 cups flour
to above mixture to choke liquid and beat well.  Knead the rest of the flour
(or more as required) into the dough until no longer sticky.  Grease large
bowl and put dough into bowl, turning the dough over once so the top would be
greased, and let rise about 1 hour.  Punch dough down and knead a little, and
divide dough into 5 doughs.  Put dough into greased bowls and let rise again,
about 1 hour, or until double its bulk.  Punch dough down and stretch to
rectangle, approximately 18x24 inches, on floured cloth.  Spread Nut Filling
on dough.  Take edge of cloth and roll up from longest side.  Fold dough in
half and place in greased pan.  Let rise 1 hour.  Beat 2 tsp. water into an
egg yolk and spread mixture on top of bread.  Bake at 350ºF for 1 hour and 15
minutes.

Nut Filling:

8 to 10 cups ground English walnuts
2 cups or more of milk
2 sticks butter, melted
3 to 4 cups sugar
2 to 3 tsp. cinnamon, if desired

Combine all ingredients in large saucepan; cook until sugar is dissolved.
 Cool mixture.

Cindi in Kansas City
GO CHIEFS!!!