Fabulous NYC Rye Bread

Bonni Lee Brown <brown@coastalnet.com>
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 17:35:01 -0500
v097.n071.7
I tried to post the "Sour Rye" recipe from George Greenstein's "Secrets
of a Jewish Baker" but was advised that the post was too long for this
list. Yes indeed, it is quite long and detailed. After searching and
experimenting for years for that special Rye Bread of my childhood in
Brooklyn, I believe I've found it in Mr. Greenstein's book.

If anyone would like me to email the recipe, I'd be happy to. It uses a
rye sour which is easy to maintain in the refrigerator and has the
moistness of interior coupled with the crisp shiny crust that rye should
have. If you add charnushka seeds (black caraway) it is better than the
Russian Rye sold in Harris Teeter stores.

As far as I'm concerned the only improvement would be New York City
water!!

Bonni     <brown@coastalnet.com>