Re: Corn bread in ABM

adritter@legend.txdirect.net
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 17:15:33 -0500
v097.n060.19
You wrote:

>But, the machine [Zoji] has a "cake" setting that I've had no luck with at
>all. Store bought pre- mix cake recipes turn out terrible. As do those
>corn bread boxes & packages, they turn into short hard loafs!

Bill~

I have had a Zoji for about 5 years and I love it.  I have made Jiffy brand
cakes, regular cake mixes halved, corn bread from Jiffy and cake recipes
from the Zoji boooklet, and all have turned out very well.  None are very
"big" however, and you *must* start checking for doneness at about 30
minutes of baking and every 10 minutes thereafter, or you might get bricks
(total baking cycle time is 80 minutes)! I use an uncooked spagetti strand
as a tester -- it's long enough so you don't get burned by the pan.

My cakes ususally take about 1 hour, start to finish.  They sometimes break
apart when
I shake them out of the pan and leave a portion in the bottom.  (My son
usually comes to the rescue though, and eats all the "crumbs", big ones and
little ones.)  I cut the cake in 4-6 portions, top with low fat ice cream
and drizzle with low fat Hershey's syrup.  Delicious!

Good luck.  Let me know if you ever try the jam setting.  I never have --
just lazy, I
guess.

~Sandee Ritter
 adritter@txdirect.net