Re: quick breads

"Michael A. Cohn" <enkidu@mail.utexas.edu>
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:59:42 -0500
v097.n059.12
>I've been on the list for a while, but this is my first time to write.
>I enjoy yeast breads, but I really love quick breads--for the taste,
>and for the ease at which they're made.  I'm looking for low-fat quick
>bread recipes.

	Ah, I sense I have found here a kindred spirit, one who might
understand why, when I profess my interest in bread-baking, I fall with
wrath upon those who answer with "oh sure, I love bread! Banana bread,
cranberry muffins, carrot loaves. . ." They're talking about pound cake,
not real bread! I recently posted my favorite soda bread, so I'll send it
to you privately. Here, though, are a few scone recipes, about as far
towards the "bread" side of the spectrum as this staggeringly diverse form
comes (good, given that my roommates slather them with butter, honey, jam,
and ice cream...). The third are my personal beloved.

Breakfast Scones
      2 c  Flour
      2 ea Eggs, well beaten
      3 ts Baking powder
      2 tb Sugar
      1 ts Salt
      2 tb Butter or margarine
           Cold water

	Sift flour, measure, and sift with baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Rub in butter with tips of fingers or cut in with 2 spatulas. Add eggs and
sufficient water to make a soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and
pat into sheet 1 inch thick. Cut into rounds or squares. Fold over double
and brush with milk. Place on slightly oiled baking sheet. Dust with sugar
and bake in hot oven (450 F) about 15 minutes. 8 servings. C.M. Yockey,
Denver, CO. The Household Searchlight - 1941 Via:
mmdoor@the_gatehouse_bbs.bbs, 08-28-1995, recipe # 1149 in MAIN [not
registered]

Irish Soda Scones

     1 lb White Flour
     1 ts Baking Soda
     1 ts Cream of Tarter
     1/2 ts Salt
     1 tb Margarine
     1 c Buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350F. Sift dry ingredients. Cut in margarine. Add
buttermilk a little at a time to make a stiff dough. Knead for two or
three minutes. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface. Cut with  a
3-inch biscuit cutter and place on a cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes. When
brown on top, turn and brown the other side. Makes 6 - 8 scones.
Source: "The Cookin' O'The Green" - February '94 edition - Family
magazine. Typed for you bu Lois Flack, CYBEREALM BBS, Watertown, NY.

   Low Calorie Brown Scones

      1 c  Flour
      1 c  Whole wheat flour
      2 tb Sugar
      1 tb Rolled oats
  1 1/2 ts Baking soda
    1/4 ts Salt
      1 c  Buttermilk
      2 tb Buttermilk

  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
  2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In a large bowl,
combine all ingredients except buttermilk; mix well. Make a well in the
center of the flours; add 1 cup buttermilk. Stir just until moistened.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead until dough holds its
shape. Place on greased cookie sheet; pat out into 7 inch circle. Brush
with 2 Tablespoons buttermilk.
  4. Bake at 400F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm
Source: Pillsbury Fast and Healthy Magazine March/April 1993

enkidu@mail.utexas.edu

	"I swear to you, then," said MacIan. . . "I swear it by
the god you have denied, by the Blessed Lady you have blasphemed;
I swear it by the seven swords in her heart. I swear it by the
Holy Island where my fathers are, by the honour of my mother, by
the secret of my people, and by the chalice of the Blood of God."
	The Atheist drew up his head. "And I," he said, "give my word."

_The Ball and the Cross_, G.K. Chesterton