Re: No Salt

Mike the Crow <enkidu@mail.utexas.edu>
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 21:11:36 -0500
v097.n058.5
>Would it be as simple as to just eliminate the salt and carry
>on with the same recipies I always make, or would the ingredients react
>in a different way?

Salt improves the gluten quality in bread, so it should affect the rising
somewhat - but high-gluten flour should keep everything reasonably in line.
You may also experience a livlier rise and have to cut back on yeast
somewhat, but the main deterrent, I would expect, is taste. Saltless bread
has a tendency to have a pallid, floury (not wheaty), most disagreeable
taste. I'd recommend trying strong herbs like dill and rosemary, as well as
sugar and other flavorful fillings, to compensate. Another route might be
to simply cut back on salt; I've heard that many recipes work every bit as
well with it halved.

Michael

enkidu@mail.utexas.edu

	"I swear to you, then," said MacIan. . . "I swear it by
the god you have denied, by the Blessed Lady you have blasphemed;
I swear it by the seven swords in her heart. I swear it by the
Holy Island wheremy fathers are, by the honour of my mother, by
the secret of my people, and by the chalice of the Blood of God."
	The Atheist drew up his head. "And I," he said, "give my word."

_The Ball and the Cross_, G.K. Chesterton