Re: Converting bread machine recipes

"Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper@idt.net>
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:43:06 +0000
v097.n057.5
Terry & Kathleen Schuller <schuller@ix.netcom.com> said:

>Once you understand the breakmaking process it is not too difficult
>to convert bread machine recipes to hand made ones.  But I think you
>need to understand the basic process first.

I agree!  I make bread in my KitchenAid mixer, and many of my
favorite recipes were written for bread machines.  They have all
converted nicely.  I use Red Star Yeast, which I buy in bulk at Costo
(I freeze most of it, and keep a smaller supply in the fridge).  I
heat the specified amount of liquid to warm (no higher than 110 F),
add the other ingredients, including the yeast and all but 1 cup of
the flour.  Then I add as much of the remaining flour as I need to
make a dough that's just right.  By now, I know from experience what
proper dough looks like and feels like.

I let the machine knead for about 8 minutes after the initial mixing
is complete.  (Meanwhile, I toss my measuring stuff into the
dishwasher.)  I lightly grease a plastic container with spray oil.  I
have a set of containers that I got at Costco, different sizes, all
with lids and measurements markings on the sides in 1/2 quart and 1/2
liter units.  I'm bad at estimating "until doubled" by eye, but with
these containers, I know for sure.  In warmer weather, I often just
leave the covered container on the counter.  When it's cold, I put it
inside my (electric) oven with the light switched on.  The small bulb
of the oven light is enough to warm the inside to about 80 F -- just
right for dough.

I punch down my risen dough and put the loaf into my favorite bread
pan.  It's a heavy steel one with a non-stick coating that I got at
the King Arthur store.  It bakes evenly and cleans easily.  I
pre-heat my oven to 375 F.  This temperature seems to work well for
all basic bread recipes.

Depending on the weather, I might just leave the pan on the counter,
covered with wax paper.  Or I might put it in the microwave (away
from drafts).  Often, I set it on the rack of my broiler pan, having
first filled the lower part of the pan with hot water.  I let the
loaf rise until the dough is slightly above the top of the pan -- but
no more than 1 inch.

I put the pan in the oven and check it at the 30 minute mark.  I do
the "thump it on the bottom and see if it sounds hollow" test for
doneness, but if I'm not quite sure, I'll stick a meat thermometer
into the loaf.  A reading of 190-200 F means it's done.  Then I take
it out of the pan, cool it on a rack, and try to resist the
temptation to devour half the loaf when it's cooling.  <g>

Harper *** Robin Carroll-Mann
harper @ idt.net
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
Harper's Bread Basket http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3967