Fruit bread & bread mixes

FiberArt <fiberart@earthlink.net>
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 07:59:55 -0400
v097.n056.6
>Does anyone know where I could order a variety of bread mixes? I like to use
>these because I am lazy.  The only ones I have found to date are at Walmart
>and they are your regular white, wheat, cinnamon raisen, etc. I am looking
>for variety of mixes at a resonable cost.  Thanks.
>Bonnie Martin

Why not make your own?  One day when you have time just make bags of dry
ingredients and label them.  When you are then ready to mix breads just
grab one of your own bags.  Will save them a bundle of money!

>I'm not yet ready to make an investment in a bread
>machine (Christmas is coming, maybe if I hint hard
>enough... :) ) and was wondering if there are basic
>guidelines somewhere for converting bread machine
>recipes to conventional recipes.  I am definately a

They are one and the same.  The main difference is that you use "liquid"
oil (melted butter, for instance) or liquid milk and scald in "over the
counter" recepies.  With a bread machine there is no need as the yeast will
rise aprropriately enough during baking.  I have a "circular" bread machine
(meaning it makes circular bread).  I happen not to like the shape so only
use the machine to mix all the stuff up.  I use the manual setting, take
out the dough, let it do it's last rising in a bread pan and bake in the oven.

>I usually make banana bread (quick bread) and add cranberries to it.  I
>usually use fresh or frozen berries, but last week I made it with dried
>fruit and it turned out good, but a little more dry than usual.  (I also
>overcooked it a little bit by accident, so the dryness may have been from
>that more than anything.)  I don't change the banana bread recipe at all

Here is a easier method I just made with my cherry bread for breakfast this
morning :-).  I soaked the cherries (dried) in the sugar and hot water for
15 minutes to "plump".  I then added to the recepie.  The water was
sufficient to cover the liquid and sugar content for the bread recipie.
Counteracts any "drying" in the recipie.

Cheryl
FiberArt@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~fiberart/
Come visit us in #KnitSpin -- the IRC chat channel for fiber lovers on DALnet