soggy centers

Alan Woods <woods.1@osu.edu>
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 12:27:36 -0400
v097.n056.1
For the past couple of months, I've been getting soggy centers to loaves
baked for the appropriate time, at the appropriate temperature, which
sounded quite hollow when thumped.  The only variables that are relatively
new (in the some 25 years of baking) are:

(1) use of some of the new fat-replacers (usually made from fruit); I've
used both the Smuckers brand and Wonderslim
(2) use of rice syrup or malt syrup for sweetner
(3) some new flours (organic rye and buckwheat from a mill in Wisconsin,
and a couple of King Arthur types not previously used).

But using these same variables usually produces a satisfactory loaf.
Anybody got any suggestions before I invest in a temperature probe?

Thanks--
Alan Woods
Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
Theatre Research Institute
1430 Lincoln Tower
1800 Cannon Drive
Columbus, OH 43210-1230
614/292-6614 vox 614/292-3222 FAX office
614/261-6268 vox 614/261-6456 FAX home
woods.1@osu.edu