Re: Cranberry bread

Michelle Friend <mfriend@indiana.edu>
Tue, 2 Sep 1997 14:10:05 -0500 (EST)
v097.n055.8
Cheryl asked about making cranberry bread.  Congratulations!  I think you
have found one of the best kinds of bread around.  (Then again, I think
anything with cranberries in it is good.  ;-)

I usually make banana bread (quick bread) and add cranberries to it.  I
usually use fresh or frozen berries, but last week I made it with dried
fruit and it turned out good, but a little more dry than usual.  (I also
overcooked it a little bit by accident, so the dryness may have been from
that more than anything.)  I don't change the banana bread recipe at all
because I think it is sweet enough without extra sugar and the cranberries
add a nice tartness.  If I am in the mood for a particularly sweet bread I
will cook the cranberries first:  Boil them in 1 cup water and ~1/2 cup
sugar, then let cool to room temperature.  Drain and add them to the
banana bread batter.  It is a really good dessert or breakfast sweet bread
that way!

Welcome and good luck!

Michelle Friend	                  A mosquito cried out in pain:
mfriend@indiana.edu               "A chemist has poisoned my brain!"
                                  The cause of his sorrow
                                  was para-dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane
   [paraDichloroDiphenylTrichloroethane is the the full name for DDT]