SOUR sourdough!

magherrick@juno.com (Margaret E Herrick)
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:56:04 DT
v097.n054.15
Hi, everyone.

I believe sourdough should taste tangy and I can't make it do that any
more.

years ago I had a cookbook called something like SAN FRANCISCO SOURDOUGH.
 If I remember right it had a red cover and came with a packet od
dehyudrated sourdough starter attacched inside the cover.

I remember sometimes it made bread so sour it indicated a need for a bit
of baking soda to be added.

How I yearn for that kind of bread.  I have a jar of nice boozety
smelling stater that I made a few days ago.  That aromatic liquid that
rises to the top of it was called "hootch" and is where the name for that
alocoholic drink came from  (so I read int he  above book, which had the
history of sourdough in it.

It seems the old "sourdoughs" of the Yukon used to take their starter to
bed with them to keep it warm.  And those old prospectors got that name
becasue of the starter they always used to make  their bread.

Actually I use a DAK Turbo V to make most breads.

If anyone has the above mentioned cookbook and can send me the recipe for
plain white sourdough bread, I would be a reall happy camper!

sent it via E-mail to     magherrick@juno.com    or    maggie@idsi.net

And I will thank you from the bottom of my bread basket.

Maggie