Re: crusty bread

"J. Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:15:02 -0500
v097.n051.20
> >Another question...I'm from New Orleans (live in Maryland) and I'm use to
> >French bread that if soft as cotton on the inside with an outer crust that
> >is so light and flaky that when you break a piece of bread off...your
> >lap...the table...is a mass of crumbs. IS THERE A WAY to get French bread
> >like that (or even just close to it) for the home baker???

The main key to your answer is steam.  That is, as the bread is
baking you should have some water in that oven so that it creates
steam, resulting in a wonderful, crusty loaf which has a tender
interior.  I am talking about a "regular" loaf of bread, of
course...not one that is mixed and baked in the bread maker.

As you preheat your oven, put a flat pan (NOT GLASS!!) on one of the
lower oven shelves, leaving at least one level above it for the
loaves.  Prepare your dough as usual, shaping into the standard
French baguette or batard shapes.  At the same time that you place
your loaves into the oven, pour about 2-3 cups of cool water into
that pan.  Be careful, because it will result in a sudden cloud of
steam and you don't want to get burned.  Close the oven quickly and
let the baking begin!

The water will eventually evaporate well before the baking is
finished; however, you will discover that the loaves result in a
wonderful, hearty crust while the interior remains tender and
delicate.

You do not have to brush on any egg white, although you can do so
toward the end of the baking cycle if you wish.  The egg white tends
to create an abnormally brown exterior which I don't prefer, although
it does add a shine to the loaf.  Make sure you don't put it on too
soon, or it will brown too much before the loaf is completely baked
and you'll be disappointed with the results.

Purists argue that the only "authentic" loaf of French bread is made
with flour, water, salt, and yeast, and baked with steam for the
crusty result.  I don't get involved in those arguments, but the
steam is the answer to your crusty loaf!!  I've made many a French
loaf like this with rave reviews from the tasters.

Enjoy,
Joan
--
Email: joanm@bigfoot.com