Crusty Bread

sue@interport.net (Curly Sue)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 19:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n049.5
>Another question...I'm from New Orleans (live in Maryland) and I'm use to
>French bread that if soft as cotton on the inside with an outer crust that
>is so light and flaky that when you break a piece of bread off...your
>lap...the table...is a mass of crumbs. IS THERE A WAY to get French bread
>like that (or even just close to it) for the home baker???
>
>Have oodles of questions but will stop here....don't want to monopolize you
>too much.......Jheri

I adapted this recipe for my bread machine and found that it gave a crust
just as you described.  I have not made it in the oven so I don't know if it
will come out the same way, but here is the recipe (both machine and
conventional methods):

QUICK SOURDOUGH FRENCH BREAD
(Source: back of a Pillsbury bread flour bag)
Bread machine instructions
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4 to 5 c. flour
1 c. warm water (120-130 deg)
2 T. wheat germ
1 c. dairy sour cream, room temp.
1 T. sugar
2 T. vinegar
2 t. salt
1/2 t. ginger
2 pkgs. yeast

Cut this recipe in half for the bread machine! Place ingredients your
machine in order recommended by manufacturer.
_____________________________________
Conventional instructions:
Additional ingredients---
1 egg white
1 T. water
2 t. poppy or sesame seeds

In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 c. flour, and next 4 ingredients; blend well.
Add water, sour cream and vinegar to flour mixture Blend at low speed until
moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in additional 2 to 2-1/2
cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.

On floured surface, knead in remaining 1/2 to 1 cup flour until dough is
smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely
with plastic wrap. Divide dough in half, and form into 2 oblong loaves.
Place on greased cookie sheet. With a sharp knife, make 5 (1/4" deep) diagonal
slashes on top of each loaf. Cover, let rise in warm place until light and
doubled in size, about 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 25 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg white
and water. Remove bread from oven, and brush with egg white mixture.
Sprinkle with seeds. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Immediately remove
from cookie sheet.

Sue(tm)