more on mills

HeartHome4@aol.com
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:41:12 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n048.11
>>>Once I saw a demonstration for the " Whisper Mill", and although it does
mill pretty well, the flour was really hot when it came out into the
receptacle.  I believe that the added insulation to "keep the noise down"
has cause it to heat up too much.<<<<

I have to disagree with this statement.  As a Whisper Mill user and dealer, I
am familair with them, and other micronizers,and how they work. The noise
reduction mechanism of the Whisper Mill does not add additional heat to the
flour.  All micronizers (steel teeth) mills are comparable in the temperature
of the flour they produce as their milling heads are quite similar. The
Whisper Mill does an excellent job of grinding fast, fine, quiet and clean.
Also, think about it, what do you do with your flour after you mill it? You
bake it! You apply heat! <G>

The concern for high temperature milling is for a rancidity factor. Also, in
the factory tests done with the micronizers, while the temperatures are
higher than slow-speed stone mills, it is not high enough to destroy
nutrients. So, if you use a Whisper Mill, you are not destroying nutrients
whether you bake right away or place your ground flour in the fridge for use
later.

>>>Without a doubt, the best way to mill any grain for flour is to use a
slow,
stonegrinding mill.  Check around locally to see if anyone in your area
does stoneground milling.<<<

I have found in my years of using, testing, demonstrating and selling many
makes and models of mills, that I partially agree with this. BUT, not all
stone mills are created equal. We recommend the Retsel stone mill, a slow
speed, 1/4 HP mill with no cabinet to collect flour and bugs. Their web site
 link is: <A HREF="http://www.idahomall.com/retsel/index.phtml";>Retsel Corpora
tion</A>  and the URL is:
http://www.idahomall.com/retsel/index.phtml

We have some printed info available on mill comparisions for anyone
interested, please feel free to e-mail me at HeartHome4@aol.com

In Messiah,
Vickilynn
Heart 'n Home Products