grain mills

bredlady@softdisk.com (G Nuttall)
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:28:42 +0100
v097.n047.9
From: bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Subject: grain mills

I am looking for information about electric grain mills.  If you use one,
what kind is it, where did you buy it, how long have you used it, and what
do you like or dislike about it?  Are you happy with the service provided
by the merchant you bought it from?  Would you buy the same kind of grain
mill again?

Bonnie:

Ive had the opportunity to use several types of grain mills throughout my
bread baking life.  One important thing to look for is how hot does the
mill make the flour when milling.  Heat destroys the nutritional value of
the flour if it gets too hot.

Once I saw a demonstration for the " Whisper Mill", and although it does
mill pretty well, the flour was really hot when it came out into the
receptacle.  I believe that the added insulation to "keep the noise down"
has cause it to heat up too much.

Without a doubt, the best way to mill any grain for flour is to use a slow,
stonegrinding mill.  Check around locally to see if anyone in your area
does stoneground milling.  You'd be surprised at who does.  if that's not
an option, you need to know what criteria you look for in a mill.  Most
small mills range from around $300 then the price goes up.

How much flour do you want ground in one hour, is another consideration.
if you are using it for a few loaves, then most any mill should work -

Stone mills are available for around $300-400.  I recently received
material from a company called Lee in Wisconsin.  They have a carberundum (
going off memory here!) stone mill.

The best stone mills can be read about on Alan Scott's web page at
http://pomo.nbn.com/home/ovncraft.  He has been using stoneground mills for
about 20 years now, and he is a great source of knowledge about all types
of mills.

I've used the Skiold stone mill he describes there.  it is great, but pricy
for a home baker.  The Diamant stone mill is an excellent buy for $425!
Also, at that page lists the Jansen mill comapny out of North Carolina.  i
have not used their mills, but I know Mr jansen and I wouldn't hesitate to
purchase their product based on his knowledge and craftmanship (and quality
standard!)

hope this helps