Herb Peasant bread ....... very favorite bread

lunchuck <jock@twd.net>
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 10:05:55 -0400
v097.n044.1
This is my all-time favorite bread, I make it about once a week in the
summer with fresh herbs and green garden onions.  It keeps well, and
sometimes I make 3 or 4 small loaves to give as gifts.  I usually
prepare in the machine on dough cycle, then bake in round loaves.  Judy

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Herb Peasant Bread

Recipe By     : Taste of Home
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           Herb Recipes

     1/2  cup           onion -- chopped
   3      tablespoons   butter
   1      cup & 2 tbs   skim
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   1      tablespoon    sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      dried dill weed
     1/2  teaspoon      dried basil
     1/2  teaspoon      dried rosemary
   1      package       dry yeast
   3 1/2  cups          flour

Saute onion in butter until tender.  Cool.  Place in large bowl with
milk, sugar, salt,  herbs, yeast and 3 cups flour.  Beat until smooth.
Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.  Knead until smooth and
elastic, 6-8 minutes.  Place in greased bowl turning once to grease top
of dough.  Let rise 45 minutes until double.  Punch down, shape into
ball and place on greased cookie sheet.  Cover, let rise until double.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Remove to wire rack.  Brush with
melted butter.  Cool.

NOTES : This is best when made in the summer, using fresh herbs.  Be
adventurous, use any combination of fresh herbs, about 2 tbs. of each.
You can also add some parmesan cheese for a different flavor.