Re: Digest bread-bakers.v097.n041

MHarris269@aol.com
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:33:08 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
>  Subject: Height of Rising Loaves
>  Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:04:11 -0400
>
>  A friend insisted he did not need his bread machine book.  He gave it to
me
>  it was The Electric Bread.
>  I have a four other bread machine books, but this is the only one that
>  rates the loaves according to theri ability to rise.  The rating ranges
>  from 1 to 5.  They also have a picture comparing a short
loaf(pumpernickel)
>  and a tall loaf(saffron-white flour).  they say, many times, there's
>  nothing wrong with the loaves, and people complain that the loaf does not
>  rise.
>  I made a short loaf yesterday.  It was from a butter milk recipe, and I
>  substituted the buttermilk for yougurt w/ 1 teaspoon vinegar.  The loaf is
>  not crumbly, has a nice shape, no air bubbles, just not very high.
>
>  I am here wondering whether it is this way, or whether I should change the
>  flour.  I have been using Canadian Robin Hood(all purpose).  However,
>  previously, this flour performed better than many strong or bread flours,
>  so perhaps I should just enjoy my short loaf.  Any suggestions?

     Perhaps it was the substitution that was the culprit. I would think that
the yogurt would be acidic enough to equal the buttermilk's. The addition of
vinegar would make the dough a little too acidic to be a hospitable
environment for the yeast.
     I would try the yogurt as an equal substitution for the buttermilk.

MHarris269@aol.com