Re: loaves falling

cathy <catspaw@preferred.com>
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 11:22:20 -0400
v097.n041.4
>I also have a Regal and had a similar problem until I started keeping the
>salt and yeast separate.  As I have mentioned before on the list, I put all
>iquids in the pan first, along with salt and all other solids except flour
>and yeast.  Flours go in next with yeast on top.  I use this method no
>atter what the recipe says and have had no problems with erratic rising
>since doing so (well over a year now).

My suggestion to everyone about the above problem from the last digest is to
follow manufacturers directions as to what order to put ingredients.
Different machines tell you different ways (liquid or dry ingredients
first). I have owned one of both and they both worked equally well, so it
seems to depend on the machine as to which you should do first. I now own a
Regal and it recommends putting liquid ingredients in first then dry
ingredients with the yeast going in last. I also use this method and it
works fine with no problems. I am more likely to have a bigger loaf than I
want than a fallen loaf.

 Also amount of liquid can affect size of loaf. I live in a high humidity
area in summer and it does seem to affect the amount of liquid I need to
use. I usually have to use more liquid than called for in winter than in summer.

Hope this helps

Cathy
catspaw@preferred.com